Friday, April 26, 2013

Where do you get your ... story?




Do you model after another story? Author?

Do you just begin the quest to complete a work? Or, like myself, just screwing around writing a few pages and read what I have written.

"Hey, that doesn't sound too bad," we may say, and become interested enough to see where this thing is going, and write some more.

I do that. Just putzing around I began a story, and then put it away for a year. Maybe it had three pages at best. About a year or so later, I went to the movies and see Avatar, in 3D ... what a great ride.

I thought ... that is allot — kind of sort of — like the story I began.

I went home and now I am 54000 words into it. My story was not in another distant world, but it had similarities, that were too interesting to pass up.

And... What about killing off characters. Do we clandestinely plot and kill them off when they least expect it?

Perhaps an inner voice says, "Do IT, do it know!"

I will give you an example.

I will call my character a bad guy, but you could call him a villain, antagonist, or what ever you want.

One evening I was just writing along when this little voice popped into my brain and said that it was time to kill this bad guy.

Well, in my mind I answered back that I had no intentions of killing off this particular bad guy, and that he is staying with me to the end, and at the least another thirty-thousand words...for, that little voice must have had some pretty powerful MOJO, cause about one-hundred and fifty words, more or less and that bad guy had a blade pulled right across his throat, his body crumpling onto the carefully placed plastic sheeting that he discovered only fractions of second before he dropped ... DEAD.

Whew, that was allot to say in one breath.

You will get to meet him when I begin my introduction to my 'characters' somewhere soon when that little voice from within says, NOW!

This thing we call Fiction Writing ... It is a mystery. What is your take on it?

Dave Powell

When I have enough followers asking for story review, I will begin.
For now, I am still figuring out how to blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment